The history of Bosa dates back to antiquity. The territory has been inhabited since prehistoric times and still nowadays conserves traces of various ancient civilizations. It is believed that Bosa was founded by the Phoenicians. The thesis is supported by an inscription from the 9th century BC, nowadays lost, which mentioned for the first time the name “Bs’n” in reference to the population inhabiting the territory. According to a legend, Bosa was founded by Calmedia, a wife or a daughter of Sardus Pater (Sardinian Father), a mythological hero of the nuragic Sardinians, believed to be the son of Heracles. Calmedia, enchanted by the beauty of the region, decided to found a city there.
After the Phoenicians, the area of Bosa passed under the governance of the Romans. In medieval times, the territory became the property of the noble family of Malaspina, who in 1112 erected the castle of Bosa on the Serravalle hill. Later, the town was passing between the Arborea and the House of Aragon. In 1499 the king Ferdinand II of Aragon gave to Bosa the status of a royal city. Since then, the town started to grow and develop. In the second half of the 19th century Bosa saw a fast development of the tannery industry and soon became the most important leather processing center in Sardinia. At the same time, the city was undergoing an urbanistic transformation, with the construction of an aqueduct, a sewerage, a harbour and a new bridge known nowadays as “Il Ponte Vecchio”.
Thanks to the modest population growth over the centuries, Bosa maintained its original structure and character until our times.